BASIC INFORMATION FOR SERVING AT HFK
Remember that altar serving is an honor and should be taken seriously. Here are some general norms for serving at Holy Family Parish:
- To be an Altar Server at HFK, you have to be at least in 4th grade. When you sign up to be a Server, you will primarily be serving weekend Masses, (Saturday vigil or Sundays). Weekday Masses have no assigned altar servers, but Servers who attend daily Masses are welcome to volunteer.
- Altar Servers should remember their assigned Mass days/times and arrive at the church roughly 20 minutes before their assigned Mass. Servers will usually be assigned to serve once a month.
- Try to remember to wear clothes and shoes that look nice and are not overly 'flashy'.
- Upon arrival, Servers should go and first check in by the vestry entrance. After signing in, they should immediately go and get 'vested' with the correct size alb and correct length and color cincture/rope.
- Remember your Server number and assigned duties for that particular number:
- Server 1 carries the processional cross and rings the bells during the Eucharistic prayers.
- Server 2 carries a candle, holds the Roman Missal, and helps with altar preparations.
- Server 3 carries a candle assists server 2 with the altar preparations.
- Servers that attend a Mass that they are not assigned for are encouraged to ask Mass facilitators if there is need for them to fill in.